Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The First Step Is Admitting You Have A Problem.


i have spent most of my life with my nose in the books. it started way back when as a child i could easily forgo a trip to the park or a few hours of sunday morning cartoons to curling up in my bed with a book.

i of course wasn't some incredible savant, i wasn't reading war and peace at the age of 4- i started out with the entire collection of The Babysitters Club, at 6 and 7 years old. it was this fascination that books could take on a life of their own, far surpassing a half hour children's show and opening up my mind into different worlds and places.

my insatiable appetite for literature continued to grow, i became enveloped in books on the holocaust, i am not jewish so this fascination for a young girl of 10 and 11 seemed strange for many people around me- but my curiosity and tenacity to read and learn about things that happened well before i existed made me want to learn more. at 13 i attempted Wuthering Heights, a book whose language was a little advance for me, that did not stop me- i walked around everywhere with my copy of the book and my Websters. reading the book became a little cumbersome when i was forced to look up every 3rd word and write the meaning in the margin. to this day- i still have not been able to finish that one, on the to do list it goes!

as the years passed my interest in books went in and out depending on what was happening in my life. during high-school, university and college- i strayed away from my fairy-tale land of books and literature- mainly because my middle name just so happened to be Procrastination- and i had tremendous guilt reading for pleasure when i knew i had homework to do.

fast forward to my first job and 3 hours a day on public transportation. i had 2 options- stare aimlessly at the lost souls on the subway and make up stories about what i suspected their lives were about. or follow my moms rules of 'staring is rude' and get out another book.

since then i live and breathe reading. i don't watch much television, and would prefer to curl up with a book and get carried away by the words. i find that reading is like watching a really good movie- except it isn't over in an hour and 45 minutes- it can go on for as long or as short as you wish. the movie plays out in your mind scene for scene and can envelope you so deeply into the story that you actually feel as though you are living it.

this blog will be a therapeutic place for me to share my thoughts and ideas on the books i am reading. no one else really fully understands my fascination with books so i am taking to cyberspace to share my deepest darkest thoughts, as the Confessions Of A Closet Bookworm.

No comments:

Post a Comment