Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Over Examined Life Is Not Worth Living- (Suck it, Socrates!)


So I know that all of my blogs are based on the books that I read- but sometimes a girl just needs to vent... this is my vent on my Over Examined Life...

It is amazing the plethora of emotions that women go through on a daily, weekly, monthly basis. It seems that so many of us can't just be. We are always making excuses for how we feel- looking for deeper meaning- assuming somehow, somewhere, we must be unbalanced. But the reality is we are all the same, we all deal with the same insecurities, guilt, regret and fear of what MAY be.

But what about men? Do they go through emotional rollercoasters the same way that we do, but are just much better at hiding their feelings? Or are they just hard-wired differently from their estrogen filled counterparts?

In recently beginning a new, high powered job... let me rephrase- high powered CAREER (job = temporary, career = forever), I have been unable to get excited and celebrate my future and where it could take me. Why you ask? Easy.. instead of looking at my new job.. ahem.. Career as this fantastic opportunity, that will take me places and increase my bank account significantly- my mind drifts to not my current situation- but to my future, as a wife, as a mother.

Unlike men, who look at their CAREER as something to aspire to- to get as far ahead as fast as possible, women have this nagging voice in the back of thier heads. The voice is that of their children... unborn children that is. The guilt sets in LONG before the pink cross appears on the urine stained stick. How can I choose a career that will take me so far away from my children, how can I expect to make my way up the ladder, make a Real name for myself in this world- when I know I want to have children in the future.

So many unknowns lead women to a place in their minds where they over think even the most minute details of their lives. Is it not enough to just be happy and healthy and enjoy success as it comes- instead of clogging your mind up with the "What-Ifs" of the near or distant future?

It's not something that can be easily controlled- the mind does what it wants to do. Over thinking everything is a woman's way of trying to make sense of what is going on in her life.

Socrates said "The unexamined life is not worth living" (clearly a male speaking) because as it is good to understand and examine your life- I truly believe that The Over-examined life is not worth living at all- as the only place you will be alive is in your mind- and really what fun is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment