Saturday, May 1, 2010

Eat Pray Love


so this book got me thinking, reflecting on how many internal struggles women go through on a daily basis. hence the reason for my previous blog post- it was just one of the things that plagues my mind on the realization that most women are the same way.

the book "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert, has received a ton of publicity- and the movie is slated to be out soon, starring non other then THE Julia Roberts. so i figured i would give it a shot. let me say that these kinds of books (spiritual, self help type) are not my cup of tea. and Eat Pray Love is no exception to this. i found Gilbert to be a whiner, she has complete breakdowns about things that in the grand scope of things is minor, considering there are people in this world dying from cancer, and poverty. yet she can't see around her divorce as being the most devastating thing to happen in this world.

the book is divided into three parts- Italy (Eat), India (Pray), Indonesia (Love). it took everything in me to get through the middle part, she spoke of this major shifting in her life, her becoming a more relaxed person, understanding and accepting person. yet as she goes through you can tell this is just a facade. she is still an insecure girl, who falls in love with a man who basically treats her like he owns her, so much for life changing spiritual solace.

i am certainly going to see the movie (just because Miss Roberts is in it), not because of the story, there isn't enough substance to find the story anything significant. but i don't recommend reading Eat Pray Love.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the book but the movie was so so. Not the same but the scenery in Bali made me put it on my bucket list to go.

    ReplyDelete